The Parish of Carbonear
HistoryThe construction and completion of the present church building of St. James, Church was in 1864. However, the present structure is not the first one to service the Parish. The previous church, build in 1815, was also called St. James' Church. There was also a small church or meeting house built about 1762. There was no Anglican Church in Carbonear between 1788 and 1815. Up to 1840 the Anglican population of Carbonear and Harbour Grace formed one parish. Most of the early clergy served the Parish under the auspices of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. Among the notable clergy were Lawrence Coughlan who served from 1766-1773, James Balfour. 1773-1792, Lewis Amadeus, 1802-1812, a Swiss-born scholar who reorganized the judicial system in Conception Bay, established the first area's Sunday School, and wrote one of the early histories of Newfoundland in 1819.
Land was procured around 1813 and the first St. James Church was completed in 1815. In 1819 the congregation pledged to support a priest of their own. On April 9th 1860, the foundation lines were marked out for the construction of a new church. Ground was broken on May 7th 1860 and work continued until June when a large portion of the congregation left for the Annual Labrador Fishery. The shortage of volunteer labor unavoidably slowed construction. However, the church was completed in 3 ½ years and was consecrated on November 10th 1864. A workforce composed largely of professional fisherman build this intricate structure. Their handiwork has withstood the elements on an exposed hillside for 141 years. St. James' is a Gothic style wooden structure which features a high lancet arch roof system with studded walls and timber flooring on a stone foundation. It has been continuously utilized as a place of worship in the Anglican tradition since its construction.
The building was designated a Registered Heritage Structure on September 15th 2001 by the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador.
PersonnelThe Rev. Mark Janes - Rector
Organists - The Rev. Morley Boutcher and Mrs Gloria Mercer
Address and Contact Info13 Bond St.
Telephone: (709) 596-6187
Schedule of Services8:30 AM - Holy Communion (BCP)
10:30 AM - Holy Eucharist - Alternating with the Book of Common Prayer and the Book of Alternative Services
7:00 PM - Evensong (BCP) - second Sunday in the month